Sunday, January 20, 2008

Caring For Your Baskets

You've either purchased a new basket or, perhaps, woven one.....now, do you just sit it on the kitchen counter and forget about it? Not if you'd like to have it around for many years!

Baskets will absorb odors and grease in the air. Dry conditions will cause them to get brittle and too much humidity will also affect the reed used to weave them. Choose a place for the basket in your home where it can be displayed but where it can "thrive". Never place them close to a heat source.

Dust can be removed with a feather duster or with a natural bristle paint brush. Make this part of your regular dusting duties. You also can use your soft brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner.

Finally, be careful with others in the family! I was contacted several years ago by a gentleman who had tripped when going down his stairs and, as he said "put his size 12 shoe into his wife's prize Stairstep Basket! Please help me!" In this case, after many emails and pictures being sent to me, I was able to give him the go ahead to ship me the basket and I was able to repair it.......but, since it wasn't even a handwoven basket, but rather a cheap import, I'm sure the cost of shipping and repairs came to much more than his wife paid originally!

No comments: